Psychology 4 FAQs

Home / Psychology 4 / Psychology 4 FAQs

Psychology 4 FAQs

You can find PPLS information about exam results, progression, and degree results here.



Your Personal Tutor can provide you with academic guidance and a context in which to reflect on your academic progress. You can find more information about their role here

During your psychology degree, you will need to read a lot of research articles. Here is a guide on how to read efficiently and maximise understanding:

  • If you have a question about course content (i.e. you didn't understand something), you should talk to the lecturer who gave that lecture, either via email or their office hours (advertised on their office door and/or website)  
  • If you have a schedule conflict/issue, you should talk to the Course Secretary (
  • If you have a question about course structure (e.g. when exams are, submission deadlines, late penalties, etc.), talk to the Course Secretary ( in the Teaching Office. They can also enrol you to courses.
  • If you need a non-academic reference (e.g., for bank or landlord), then you can obtain it from the Student Information Point. Many documents can be requested online, but in some cases you may need to visit their office, which is located in the Old College on South Bridge.
  • If you are having more general, personal or health issues (e.g., you are not sure if you want to stay on the course), you should talk to your Personal Tutor and/or the Student Support Officers ( For more details, see this. Visiting students should start with the Visiting Student Office.
  • If you have general academic concerns – about how to improve your work, about academic progression, whether to change programme or topics of study, you should talk to your Personal Tutor.
  • If you prefer not to talk to your Personal Tutor (for example they are currently teaching you and you are struggling with the course) you can also discuss academic issues with your Year Organiser, or with the Teaching Director (Tom Booth) – or speak to Student Support if the issues are personal (
  • If you are having problems with your Personal Tutor, you should talk to the Student Support Officers ( or the Senior Tutor (Pavel Iosad).
  • If you have non-academic questions about the practicalities of being a University of Edinburgh student, you can always talk to advisors at the EUSA Advice Place, located just around the corner, at Potterow Dome.
  • If you are experiencing a crisis after hours, and it is too urgent to wait until the next working day, then you can can access support from the University Security 24/7 number 0131 650 2257. Examples of a student welfare crisis might include: being a victim of crime; being hospitalised; loss of accommodation (e.g. due to fire or flood). These may be reported by the student or by the student’s flatmates/friends/family.
  • The Year 3 class rep is Helen Stocks ( Year 4 reps are Elina Takala ( and Maggie Szymanska (
  • There’s always someone you can talk to – if you can’t work it out, ask your Teaching Coordinator (Kasia for Year 4 or Eva for Year 3)


Normal working week (servitor cover)

Monday to Friday - 8.00 am to 5.30 pm

After hours working (no servitor cover)

Monday to Friday - 5.30 pm to 9.00 pm

Saturday and Sunday - 9.00 am to 9.00 pm

Building entry after hours
Staff and postgraduates holding a university staff card and Y3/Y4 undergraduates only, holding a valid matriculation card which allows access to the building, may do normal work in offices, computer labs and library after hours.

The late working book (servitor’s desk by the entry door) should ALWAYS be signed on entering and leaving the building.

Vacate the building by 9.30 pm

Front gate is locked by university security at 10.00pm Monday to Sunday

Research work after hours (Non-Participants)
Research work, which does not involve especially hazardous activities or the use of participants, may be carried out after hours, provided that explicit permission has been given by a supervisory member of the academic staff, after due consideration of the risks, and adequate supervision is employed.

Research work after hours (Participants)

Before any research work using participants is carried out within the department, the relevant ethical permission must be obtained. If the researcher is testing participants out of hours, then the following rules must be followed:

  No participant may be admitted to the building less than one hour before the end of working hours. Therefore, the last participant access is 8 pm.
  Visitors and participants must be signed into the late working book on arrival, and signed out on exit.
  Participants must be escorted from the building by the researcher (ie the researcher must witness them leave the building).
  If participant payment is offered, researchers should keep no more than one payment in the testing room. This is to minimise vulnerability to theft.
  It is strongly recommended that researchers testing participants after hours should not work alone, but should work in pairs or groups, to minimise personal vulnerability.

Security checks
The University security staff have the authority to ask the identity of anyone found in the building outside normal working hours and to check this information against the late working book.

The answer to this depends on why you failed. If you legitimately had special circumstances, go here. If you failed because you didn't understand something about the assignment, got the answer wrong, or something similar, then the most important thing to do is rectify that problem. Ask either your tutor or the Teaching Coordinator (as a first step) for help understanding why you failed the assignment and how you might have done things differently. It is highly likely that ideas, concepts, etc. from coursework will reappear on the exam, so correcting this deficit in your understanding is critical. A good way to do this is to re-write the coursework as a study activity.