Psychology 3 FAQs

Home / Psychology 3 / Psychology 3 FAQs

Psychology 3 FAQs

During your psychology degree, you will need to read a lot of research articles. Here is a guide on how to read efficiently and maximise understanding:

  • If you have a question about course content (i.e. you didn't understand something), you should talk to the lecturer who gave that lecture, either via email or their office hours (advertised on their office door and/or website)  
  • If you have a schedule conflict/issue, you should talk to the Course Secretary (
  • If you have a question about course structure (e.g. when exams are, submission deadlines, late penalties, etc.), talk to the Course Secretary ( in the Teaching Office. They can also enrol you to courses.
  • If you need a non-academic reference (e.g., for bank or landlord), then you can obtain it from the Student Information Point. Many documents can be requested online, but in some cases you may need to visit their office, which is located in the Old College on South Bridge.
  • If you are having more general, personal or health issues (e.g., you are not sure if you want to stay on the course), you should talk to your Personal Tutor and/or the Student Support Officers ( For more details, see this. Visiting students should start with the Visiting Student Office.
  • If you have general academic concerns – about how to improve your work, about academic progression, whether to change programme or topics of study, you should talk to your Personal Tutor.
  • If you prefer not to talk to your Personal Tutor (for example they are currently teaching you and you are struggling with the course) you can also discuss academic issues with your Year Organiser, or with the Teaching Director (Alexa Morcom) – or speak to Student Support if the issues are personal (
  • If you are having problems with your Personal Tutor, you should talk to the Student Support Officers ( or the Senior Tutor (Pavel Iosad).
  • If you have non-academic questions about the practicalities of being a University of Edinburgh student, you can always talk to advisors at the EUSA Advice Place, located just around the corner, at Potterow Dome.
  • If you are experiencing a crisis after hours, and it is too urgent to wait until the next working day, then you can can access support from the University Security 24/7 number 0131 650 2257. Examples of a student welfare crisis might include: being a victim of crime; being hospitalised; loss of accommodation (e.g. due to fire or flood). These may be reported by the student or by the student’s flatmates/friends/family.
  • The Year 3 class reps are Griffith Tai ( and Rachael Totty ( Year 4 reps are Kristina Gray ( and Jenni Kahkonen (
  • There’s always someone you can talk to – if you can’t work it out, ask your Teaching Coordinator (Kasia for Year 4 or Eva for Year 3)

The PPLS Undergraduate Student Handbook has more information on student support and academic guidance; late coursework and plagiarism; illness and disability adjustments, and useful sources of advice.

The Handbook can be found here


The single and combined honours degree programmes in Psychology which are listed below are accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) as conferring eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC), provided the minimum standard of a Lower Second Class honours is achieved, in addition to successfully completing the research project (Dissertation in Psychology Year 4). This is the first step towards becoming a Chartered Psychologist.

If you intend to practice as a professional psychologist, you first need to obtain an undergraduate degree that confers eligibility for GBC. Then you would need to undertake further training in the form of a relevant postgraduate degree and supervised practice before you would be eligible to become a Chartered Psychologist and to work independently as a psychologist. For further information, see the BPS website.


The following degree programmes are accredited by the BPS as conferring eligibility for GBC:

Single Honours Combined Honours
  MA (Hons) Psychology & Business
MA (Hons) Psychology MA (Hons) Psychology & Business Studies
  MA (Hons) Psychology & Economics
  MA (Hons) Psychology & Linguistics
BSc (Hons) Psychology MA (Hons) Philosophy & Psychology
  MA (Hons) Sociology & Psychology


For single honours degrees, all standard pathways, as specified in the relevant Degree Programme Table (DPT), are accredited, with the condition that students must take a selection of year 3 and year 4 courses which cover all of the following core areas of Psychology:

Cognitive Psychology

Biological Psychology

Social Psychology

Developmental Psychology

Individual Differences

This condition also applies tocombined honours degrees. In addition, accreditation is conditional on students taking the RMS2 and RMS3 courses and theDissertation in Psychology (Year 4).


The following honours degree programmes are not accredited as conferring eligibility for GBC:

BMedSci (Hons) Psychology

BSc (Hons) Cognitive Science

MA (Hons) Cognitive Science (Humanities)

The degrees of students who spend their Junior Honours Year abroad do not automatically confer eligibility for Chartered Membership of the BPS. However, such students may apply to the BPS for GBC on an individual basis, after graduation (on payment of the relevant BPS membership fee). If you are considering doing this, it is important that you select honours level courses to cover the 5 core areas, and courses equivalent to RMS2 and RMS3 (qualitative component). On your return, in final year, you must cover the remaining of the 5 core areas you did not cover abroad, with a maximum of 3 core areas covered abroad being allowed to count.

Most ERASMUS destinations do not, understandably, offer Qualitative Methods courses taught in English. Therefore, students returning from ERASMUS exchanges should take Y3 RMS3, unless they have taken a qualitative methods course in the host language. Some ERASMUS destinations (University of Amsterdam and Complutense University of Madrid) do not, at the moment, offer advanced Quantitative Methods courses taught in English, and students returning from these destinations should, in addition, take RMS3. Both quantitative and qualitative methods courses should be freely available to International Exchange students to English-speaking parts of the world. In all cases, exchange students should consult with the International Coordinator at destination, as well as the Exchanges Coordinator here in Edinburgh, when selecting courses and finalising your Learning Agreement. Note that up to 20 Edinburgh-equivalent (10 ECTS) credits may be taken in outside courses.


Y3 Courses and their BPS area:

Course BPS area(s)
Biological Psychology Biological, Cognitive
Clinical Psychological Problems in Context Social, Individual Differences
Cognitive Development in Children Developmental, Cognitive
Development of Language, Literacy and Communication Developmental
History and Theory of Psychology Conceptual and Historical Issues in Psychology
Human Personality Individual Differences
Learning and Memory Biological, Cognitive
Perception Biological, Cognitive
Psychology of Language Cognitive
Social Psychology: Experimental and Applied Approaches Social
Thinking and Reasoning Cognitive


Normal working week (servitor cover)

Monday to Friday - 8.00 am to 5.30 pm

After hours working (no servitor cover)

Monday to Friday - 5.30 pm to 9.00 pm

Saturday and Sunday - 9.00 am to 9.00 pm

Building entry after hours
Staff and postgraduates holding a university staff card and Y3/Y4 undergraduates only, holding a valid matriculation card which allows access to the building, may do normal work in offices, computer labs and library after hours.

The late working book (servitor’s desk by the entry door) should ALWAYS be signed on entering and leaving the building.

Vacate the building by 9.30 pm

Front gate is locked by university security at 10.00pm Monday to Sunday

Research work after hours (Non-Participants)
Research work, which does not involve especially hazardous activities or the use of participants, may be carried out after hours, provided that explicit permission has been given by a supervisory member of the academic staff, after due consideration of the risks, and adequate supervision is employed.

Research work after hours (Participants)

Before any research work using participants is carried out within the department, the relevant ethical permission must be obtained. If the researcher is testing participants out of hours, then the following rules must be followed:

  No participant may be admitted to the building less than one hour before the end of working hours. Therefore, the last participant access is 8 pm.
  Visitors and participants must be signed into the late working book on arrival, and signed out on exit.
  Participants must be escorted from the building by the researcher (ie the researcher must witness them leave the building).
  If participant payment is offered, researchers should keep no more than one payment in the testing room. This is to minimise vulnerability to theft.
  It is strongly recommended that researchers testing participants after hours should not work alone, but should work in pairs or groups, to minimise personal vulnerability.

Security checks
The University security staff have the authority to ask the identity of anyone found in the building outside normal working hours and to check this information against the late working book.

As a Tier 4 student, the University of Edinburgh is the sponsor of your UK visa. The University has a number of legal duties to manage our sponsorship of your visa. These include:

Monitoring your attendance on your programme and

Reporting to the Home Office where you suspend or withdraw from your studies, complete them early, fail to register or are repeatedly absent to the point of being excluded from studies.


As a student with a Tier 4 visa sponsored by the University of Edinburgh, the terms of your visa require you to, (amongst others):

Ensure you have a correct and valid visa for studying at the University of Edinburgh, which, if a Tier 4 visa, requires that it is a visa sponsored by the University of Edinburgh;

Attend all of your University classes, lectures, tutorials, etc where required. This includes participating in the requirements of your course including submitting assignments, attending meetings with tutors and attending examinations .If you cannot attend due to illness, for example, you must inform your School. This includes attending Tier 4 Census sessions when required throughout the academic session.

Please note that any email relating to your Tier 4 sponsorship, including census dates and times will be sent to your University email address - you should therefore check this regularly.

Further details on the terms and conditions of your Tier 4 visa can be found in the “Downloads” section at

Information or advice about your Tier 4 immigration status can be obtained by contacting the International Student Advisory Service, located at the International Office, 33 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9JS



The answer to this depends on why you failed. If you legitimately had special circumstances, go here. If you failed because you didn't understand something about the assignment, got the answer wrong, or something similar, then the most important thing to do is rectify that problem. Ask either your tutor or the Teaching Coordinator (as a first step) for help understanding why you failed the assignment and how you might have done things differently. It is highly likely that ideas, concepts, etc. from coursework will reappear on the exam, so correcting this deficit in your understanding is critical. A good way to do this is to re-write the coursework as a study activity.