Psychology 2 FAQs

Home / Psychology 2 FAQs

Psychology 2 FAQs

During your psychology degree, you will need to read a lot of research articles. Here is a guide on how to read efficiently and maximise understanding:

Yes, most Psychology 2 lectures are audio-recorded and the recordings are coupled with slides. However, some lecturers have preferred to opt out from recording the lectures.

The recordings are available in LEARN.

You may also want to consult the document below on recording for academic purposes.

You can use the free University shuttle bus, which operates Monday to Friday during term time. For other options on how to get to KB (including cycling and public transport), see here.

If you have back-to-back lectures and are finding it difficult to arrange transport, please get in touch with Sue Richards at the Teaching Office (

  • If you have a question about the tutorial or lab, first talk to the tutor(s) involved, and then the Teaching Coordinator if necessary. The Teaching Coordinators are: Eva Murzyn (, responsible primarily for years 2 and 3) and Kasia Banas (, responsible primarily for years 1 and 4)
  • If you have a question about course content (i.e. you didn't understand something), you should talk to the lecturer who gave that lecture, either via email or their office hours (advertised on their office door and/or website). 
  • If you have a schedule conflict/issue, you should talk to the Course Secretary (
  • If you have a question about course structure (e.g. when exams are, submission deadlines, late penalties, etc.), talk to the Course Secretary ( in the Teaching Office. They can also enrol you to courses.
  • If you need a non-academic reference (e.g., for bank or landlord), then you can obtain it from the Student Information Point. Many documents can be requested online, but in some cases you may need to visit their office, which is located in the Old College on South Bridge.
  • If you are having more having more general, personal or health issues  (e.g., you are not sure if you want to stay on the course), you should talk to your Personal Tutor and/or the Student Support Officers ( For more details, see this. Visiting students should start with the Visiting Student Office.
  • If you have general academic concerns – about how to improve your work, about academic progression, whether to change programme or topics of study, you should talk to your Personal Tutor.
  • If you prefer not to talk to your Personal Tutor (for example they are currently teaching you and you are struggling with the course) you can also discuss academic issues with your Year Organiser, or with the Teaching Director (Alexa Morcom) – or speak to Student Support if the issues are personal (
  • If you are having problems with your Personal Tutor, you should talk to the Student Support Officers ( or the Senior Tutor (Pavel Iosad).
  • If you have non-academic questions about the practicalities of being a University of Edinburgh student, you can always talk to advisors at the EUSA Advice Place, located just around the corner, at Potterow Dome.
  • If you are experiencing a crisis after hours, and it is too urgent to wait until the next working day, then you can can access support from the University Security 24/7 number 0131 650 2257. Examples of a student welfare crisis might include: being a victim of crime; being hospitalised; loss of accommodation (e.g. due to fire or flood). These may be reported by the student or by the student’s flatmates/friends/family.
  • Year 1 class reps are Emilia Janiczek ( and Kayleigh Ann Smith ( Year 2 class reps are Rue Chaladauskaite ( and Johanna Stoye (
  • There’s always someone you can talk to – if you can’t work it out, ask your Teaching Coordinator (Kasia for Years 1 & 4 or Eva for Years 2 & 3)

Looking at past exam papers is a good idea, as these give you a sense of the kinds of open-ended exam questions that you are likely to encoutner in your exam. However, note that previous exams were only based on open-ended questions (essays) and therefore the answers were expected to be longer and more elaborate.

Normally, making sure that you are familiar with all the material covered in the lectures is suggested. If there is some material that is either especially relevant or less relevant, your lecturer will tell you about this. Also make sure you are familiar with the suggested reading.

Note that multiple-choice questions are based on all lectures, whereas open-ended questions do not cover the "Doing and communicating psychology" series.


If you need to change your lab or tutorial slot (e.g., due to time-table clash), contact the Timetabling Team,

Slides, audio recordings of lectures, tutorial readings and other material can be found at the Psychology 2A and 2B pages in LEARN.


British Psychological Society (BPS) accreditation

The Single and Combined Honours degree programmes in Psychology that are listed below are accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) as conferring eligibility for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) provided the minimum standard of a Lower Second Class Honours is achieved, in addition to successfully completing the research project (Year 4 Dissertation in Psychology). This is the first step towards becoming a Chartered Psychologist.

If you intend to practice as a professional psychologist, you first need to obtain an undergraduate degree that confers eligibility for GBC. Then you would need to undertake further training in the form of a relevant postgraduate degree and supervised practice before you would be eligible to become a Chartered Psychologist and to work independently as a psychologist. For further information, see here.

The following degree programmes are accredited by the BPS as conferring eligibility for GBC:

Single Honours

  • MA (Hons) Psychology
  • BSc (Hons) Psychology

Combined Honours

  • MA (Hons) Psychology and Business
  • MA (Hons) Psychology and Economics
  • MA (Hons) Psychology and Linguistics
  • MA (Hons) Philosophy and Psychology
  • MA (Hons) Sociology and Psychology

For Single Honours degrees, all standard pathways, as specified in the relevant Degree Programme Table (DPT), are accredited, with the condition that students must take a selection of Year 3 and Year 4 courses that cover all of the five core areas of Psychology (cognitive psychology, biological psychology, social psychology, developmental psychology, individual differences). The sama also applies to combined honours degrees, with an additional condition that students take the RMS2 and RSM3 courses, Dissertation in Psychology (Year 4).

The degrees of students who spend their Junior Honours Year abroad are not automatically accredited by the BPS. However, such students may apply to the BPS for GBC on an individual basis and after graduation. If you are considering doing this, it is important that you select honours level courses to cover the five core areas and courses equivalent to the RMS2 and RMS3. On your return, in final year, you must cover the remaining of the five core areas you did not cover abroad, with a maximum of three core areas covered abroad being allowed to count. Many ERASMUS destinations do not offer Qualitative Methods courses taught in English. Therefore, students returning from ERASMUS exchanges should take RMS3, unless they have taken a qualitative methods course in the host language. In all cases, exchange students should consult with the International Co-ordinator at their destination, as well as the Exchanges Co-ordinator here in Edinburgh, when selecting courses and finalising your Learning Agreement. Note that up to 20 Edinburgh-equivalent (10 ECTS) credits may be taken in outside courses.

The following honours degree programmes are not accredited as conferring eligibility for GBC:

  • BMedSci (Hons) Psychology
  • BSc (Hons) Cognitive Science
  • MA Cognitive Sciences (Humanities)

Here are some useful links related to planning your career:

  • General information on career-related questions for PPLS students can be found here,
  • Psychology-specific career information is here.
  • The University careers service website is here
  • If you want to talk to a career consultant, you will find options here.
  • Psychology 1A/1B and 2A/2B Activity Weeks will also feature career-related talks.
  • Make sure you also read PPLS careers blog (careers information, advice and guidance specifically for PPLS students).

After the May exam diet, students progressing to Psychology Honours will be emailed Year 3 course options information and how to select them.

If you feel that your performance has been adversly affected by a personal issue, you may consider submitting a special circumstances form. The Special Circumstances Committe, which meets in June and August, may consider taking your circumstances into account and will then decide on the most appropriate course of action. Note that the outcome of your application depends on supporting evidence that you can provide alongside it (e.g., doctor's letter).

It is advisable that you contact your personal tutor and Student Support Office for help before submitting the special circumstances form.

More information can be found on the Student Support website.


See progression requirements here.

An Admission to Psychology Honours email will be sent in June. If you have not met the criteria, you will receive individual emails outlining other available options.

Students who are not currently registered for an honours degree programme in Psychology but who wish to enter Psychology honours can apply for a degree programme transfer. However, approval is not automatic and in some cases, applications need to be made well in advance. For information about how to apply, see Student Support website.